- Wear protection gloves before you pull the ignition system
- Never point a distress flare at a person
- Hold the flare downwind at arm's length above the water
- Do not look at the burning flare, turn your head
- When burning is over, put it in a bucket of water to cool down. Keep it on board until you bring it back to a bespoke collection station.
- Never use a flare that has past its expiry date.
Plastimo tips & tricks
Safe disposal of marine distress signals and flares
Plastimo is committed to preserving the health and safety of people as well as the environment.
Time expired or used marine pyrotechnics must be disposed of in strict compliance with local regulations.
Plastimo recommends that you contact your local council or maritime rescue co-ordination centre, to be informed of the rules in force locally and the disposal facilities available.